Winter Lawn Watering TipsPosted 12/31/2014
It’s that time of year to throw on a log, warm up some hot cocoa and bundle up under the covers. Yes, winter is here and hibernation is on the agenda, even for us Arizonans. But just as we need some extra protection during the frigid months ahead, so does our home’s precious vegetation. Without proper care, plants and lawns could freeze over, causing damage that is often irreversible.
Here are a few tips to keep your lawn healthy all winter long.
Be Proactive: Make sure to water in advance of predicted freezes, so the moisture has a chance to reach the root zone. This will give your plants a healthy amount of water to outlast the period of ground freeze when no moisture will be available.
Handle With Care: Because most tree roots aren’t located close to the trunk, it’s important to water around the entire root zone, which can be equal to or greater than the height of the tree. This will ensure the entire tree gets sufficient amount of water.
Check The Temp: Be sure to check the temperature before you water any vegetation. If the temperature is below 40 degrees, choose another time to water. The combination of cold and water could send your plants into a deep freeze, which could damage or kill them altogether.
Test The Depth: Depending on the weather and temperature, you should water your lawn every three to 10 days, for about 15 minutes each time. But be careful not to water deeper than four to six inches, as your lawn will not be able to extract it. You can measure the depth of water by pushing a shaft of a long screwdriver into the soil. If it goes deeper than six inches easily, you’ve watered too much; if you can’t press down farther than three inches easily, then you haven’t watered enough.
- Spruce Up Your Space for Spring
- Things to do this spring in Phoenix and Tucson
- Introducing the year’s hottest interior trends: Desert Modern & Southwestern
- Living the Good Life at Rio Paseo in Goodyear
- In Your Neighborhood: Valentine’s Day Edition
- Living Like a Local at The Lakes at Annecy
- Live Like a Local in Chandler with Our Windermere Ranch New Home Advisors
- Maracay Celebrates Three Grand Openings to Kick Off 2019
- New Year, New Home: 3 Tips for Homebuyers
- Good Times by Design: Holiday Entertaining & Floor Plans at Avance