Safety Tips for VacationersPosted 08/12/2013
As exciting as vacation is, it can also be equally as stressful as you leave your precious belongings behind for a weekend or even longer. Beyond the necessarily essentials including a home security system or in-home safes, there are a few extra precautions homeowners can take to make sure everything is safe and sound upon return. We all know to stop our mail and newspaper services and keep the lights on timers, but a few extra steps could make a big difference. A couple of other quick tips to keep in mind:
Stash Your Cash
If you don't have a safe in your house, a little creativity can go a long way when it comes to concealing your cash and small valuables. Use empty Asprin bottles, lotion jars or other containers that will keep your things safe to those who may possibly be on the lookout.
Keep Things Moving
The driveway can be a surprisingly obvious giveaway when it comes to knowing if you are home. Have neighbors ask their guests to park in your driveway when visiting to keep your house appearing to be a hub of activity throughout your vacation.
People are not your only threat when you hit the road for an extended period of time. Unplug your small appliances, turn off the fans and, of course, make sure the stove is off too. With warm summer temperatures and your A/C turned up or even off while you're away, taking these extra precautions can help avoid dangerous electrical fires back at home.
Employ Neighborhood Watch
Tried and true: having a neighbor keep an eye on your home may simply be the most helpful tip of all. Ask someone to check in periodically during your vacation to make sure everything seems to be in safe, working order.
- The Importance of Owning a LEED® Certified Home
- Meticulously Modern Housing Trends Inspired by Avance
- Father’s Day Fun Around the Valley
- Maracay Brings Alexa-Integrated Living into Thoughtfully Designed Homes
- Less clutter, more style: modern storage ideas for spring
- Learn all about Avance with our New Home Advisors
- Get to Know Deseo with Our New Home Advisors
- Green Living Tips for Earth Month
- Celebrating Earth Month in Arizona
- What’s cooking in your kitchen? The latest design trends.