NEWS: Maracay Homes Builds First ENERGY STAR® HomePosted 11/09/2012
Do you remember the houses of the future from the 1950’s with talking walls, robot maids, and microwaves that cook meals in minutes? Those haven’t come to fruition (yet), but Maracay Homes and SRP have the next best thing when it comes to innovations in home building – the first SRP ENERGY STAR® Home.
The home belongs to Tamee and George Simbles who’ve recently relocated from Austin, TX to occupy the state-of-the-art home located in the community of Whispering Heights Chandler. The 3,100-square-foot home is the first of its kind and completely fulfilled the desires of the Simbles family, who wanted to downsize to a single-story home with less space to clean, but enough space for her three sons, and energy efficiency.
“Building a sustainable, affordable and greener way of living is a core value at Maracay Homes,” said Andy Warren, President of Maracay Homes. “We are proud to build homes that stand up to SRP’s ENERGY STAR Homes standards. Welcome home, Simbles family.”
In addition to the more manageable size, a few of the energy-efficient benefits of living in an ENERGY STAR® home include:
- 50 to 60 percent more energy efficiency than most existing homes
- Savings of $1,400 or more per year compared with most existing homes
- 20 percent less water usage compared to existing and some new homes
Not only are the homes energy-efficient, but certain features ensure added comfort and health of the homeowners. They are built tight to keep conditioned air in while dirt, pollen and pollutants stay out. The homes are also required to have ventilation systems that filter in fresh air, so families can rest easy knowing that the air inside their home is clean and safe.
“There are so many features that are on this home that have not been in our previous homes, like the radiant barrier in our attic, improved windows, plus energy-efficient light bulbs, a programmable thermostat and motion sensors so the kids can’t leave lights on anymore,” Tamee said. “Not to mention the nearly 50% savings on our electric bill alone.”
Like any house, the building started with the laying of the foundation, plumbing and putting up the walls, but SRP employed some serious solar magic when adding the roof and with other eco-touches, such as the ventilation system and water features. Check back soon for a timelapse video featuring the entire build!
For more information on this ENERGY STAR® program or ways to save energy in your existing home, visit our Energy Ease page.
- Ceilings with Charisma: 4 Design Trends to Elevate Your Space to New Heights.
- Gilbert Regional Park is Ready for Fun.
- Neighbors Became Friends at the Avance After Hours Celebration.
- 10 Spooky Things to Do in Gilbert.
- Welcome Home to Life on the Smart Side.
- Fall in Love with Arizona This Season.
- Fall Decorating with a Modern Twist.
- The Meadows: A Vibrant West Valley Community.
- Dig Into Fall with the Gilbert Farmers Market.
- The Advantages of Model Home Living.