New Home, New MaintenancePosted 10/29/2013
There’s nothing more exciting than settling into your brand new home. However, once the honeymoon phase is over, some work has to be done to ensure the house remains in tip-top shape. Testing out appliances and observing the functions of your pipes and air system may seem like tedious chores, but paying attention before it a larger issue reals it’s messy (and expensive) head will save you time and money in the long run.
Here are a few tips you can use to properly maintain a new home:
Test it Out
You did the home inspection prior to purchasing the property and now it is time to go through it with a fine-tooth comb to make sure everything is in working order. Test the seals of doors, windows and refrigerator doors to make sure no drafts get through. Don’t forget to check out the installation in the attic and if need be, it add more.
Check all of your toilets’ and sinks’ plumbing to make sure that the water is not constantly running or any of the pipes are leaking and creating puddles that ruin interior floors. You can easily fix a running toilet and leaks, but be sure to do so before the problem gets worse.
If you purchase a home with a fireplace, it won’t hurt to do some extra cleaning and inspection. Hire a professional to check for cracks and build-up of creosote to prevent the chimney from catching on fire.
Walk around the outside of home to check on overhanging tree branches, garbage-filled gutters and leaking hoses. Clear the roof and gutters of any debris and be sure to wrap pipes. This will be helpful particularly as we head into cooler temperatures.
- Explore Your Artistic Side in Gilbert.
- Maracay Helps School District Secure Land for New School.
- The Top 3 Reasons to Live in a Single-Story Home.
- Ceilings with Charisma: 4 Design Trends to Elevate Your Space to New Heights.
- Gilbert Regional Park is Ready for Fun.
- Neighbors Became Friends at the Avance After Hours Celebration.
- 10 Spooky Things to Do in Gilbert.
- Welcome Home to Life on the Smart Side.
- Fall in Love with Arizona This Season.
- Fall Decorating with a Modern Twist.