Industry Update: A Market On The MendPosted 08/14/2012
No doubt, the market’s performance in the first half of the year produced encouraging news. According to the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices, Phoenix topped the nation in annual average home-price growth as of May, with an 11.5 percent gain compared to a 1.0 percent decrease for the 10-City Composite and a 0.7 percent drop for the 20-City Composite versus May 2011.
Said David M. Blitzer, chairman of the index committee at S&P Dow Jones Indices, “It (Phoenix) was one of the hardest hit cities in the collapse, and prices are still more than 50 percent below their June 2006 peak, but the past five months have been positive for that market.”
Long-time Phoenix housing expert R.L. Brown noted on his website in July that May also was a good month for housing permits. New-home permits soared 129 percent in May compared to the same period last year. Builders – especially those with premium locations – are experiencing a resurgence in demand, prompting the need for additional homesites and driving land prices upward in areas of highest buyer interest.
Overall, experts agree the residential real estate market isn’t out of the woods yet. Serious issues remain on both the buy and sell sides of the housing equation, and the nation’s economy remains fragile, at best. Radar Logic, a real estate investment firm, predicts a few more months of price increases nationwide, followed by a “fairly aggressive decline” through the remainder of the year. CEO Michael Feder said he’s keeping a close eye on investor/buyer behavior, the supply of foreclosure properties in the marketplace and bank financing requirements.
Since no one knows for sure how the remainder of the year will play out, we are celebrating successes where we can and are taking a cautiously optimistic view of the future.
- The Importance of Owning a LEED® Certified Home
- Meticulously Modern Housing Trends Inspired by Avance
- Father’s Day Fun Around the Valley
- Maracay Brings Alexa-Integrated Living into Thoughtfully Designed Homes
- Less clutter, more style: modern storage ideas for spring
- Learn all about Avance with our New Home Advisors
- Get to Know Deseo with Our New Home Advisors
- Green Living Tips for Earth Month
- Celebrating Earth Month in Arizona
- What’s cooking in your kitchen? The latest design trends.