How to Protect Plants During a FreezePosted 12/06/2013
Though it’s hard to believe, even the desert freezes over. While Arizona is far better known for our triple digit temperatures than harsh winter weather, there are occasions where below-freezing conditions occur, which can cause serious threats to your property. Well homeowners, as you likely have noticed, one of those occasions has arrived and an unusually cold weekend is ahead.
A freeze warning has gone into effect for Central Arizona and Maricopa County as temperature lows are expected to hit below 32 degrees throughout the weekend. To prepare your landscape for the icy nights ahead, be sure to take a few key precautions to avoid dying plants and damaged lots.
Spot Sensitive Plants
Some species of vegetation are more susceptible to frost damage than others. Some of the most common in the Valley? Bougainvillea, citrus trees, hibiscus and non-native cactus. Be sure to know which plants in your yard call for extra care.
It’s fairly common knowledge that covering plants is the best way to protect them during a freeze. But many may not realize that choosing the right tarp is key! Bed sheets, light blankets or burlap are a much safer options than plastic covers. Chose something porous to allow moisture to escape.
Be sure to leave the cover on all night long and through the morning. If possible, don’t remove the tarps until late morning as some of the coldest temperatures of the day occur right after sunrise. So sleep in a bit, and tend to your plants come daylight.
Stay warm this weekend!
- Spruce Up Your Space for Spring
- Things to do this spring in Phoenix and Tucson
- Introducing the year’s hottest interior trends: Desert Modern & Southwestern
- Living the Good Life at Rio Paseo in Goodyear
- In Your Neighborhood: Valentine’s Day Edition
- Living Like a Local at The Lakes at Annecy
- Live Like a Local in Chandler with Our Windermere Ranch New Home Advisors
- Maracay Celebrates Three Grand Openings to Kick Off 2019
- New Year, New Home: 3 Tips for Homebuyers
- Good Times by Design: Holiday Entertaining & Floor Plans at Avance