Home Shopping for the HolidaysPosted 12/11/2012
‘Tis the season to be jolly, to deck the halls and to buy presents for family and friends. But, did you know the holidays are also considered by some experts to be a good time to buy or sell a home?
Contrary to conventional wisdom, which pegs summertime as prime-time home hunting season, buying during the off-season has its advantages. For starters, there aren’t as many people in the market this time of year due to social and family commitments, which also means there’s less competition. Additionally, interest rates remain low, and if you close on your home before the end of the year, you can deduct any mortgage interest and closing costs on your taxes.
Trying to sell your present home? There are some distinct benefits to listing a house during the holidays, too, experts say.
In a recent article on Realtor.com, author Diana Lundin cites Southern California Realtor Camille Jasmin’s 11 reasons sellers shouldn’t let the holiday season deter them from putting or keeping their homes on the market. Among her best arguments:
- People who are shopping for a home during the holidays are serious buyers
- Re-sale home supply will increase in January, creating less demand for your home
- Homes show better when they’re decked out in their holiday finery
Home buying and selling during the “most wonderful time of the year” – also known as one of the most hectic and stressful times of the year, for some people – obviously isn’t for everyone. But, with cooler temperatures and a festive note of expectancy in the air, who knows? It just might be the perfect opportunity for Santa to slip a set of new house keys into your stocking.
- New Year, New Home: 3 Tips for Homebuyers
- Good Times by Design: Holiday Entertaining & Floor Plans at Avance
- Learning About Lakeview Trails at Morrison Ranch with New Home Advisor Katrina Harless
- The Holiday Season’s Most Exciting Events in Phoenix
- Best Hiking in Your Backyard
- The Perfect Gift for Every Adventurer on Your List
- Light up the Night this Holiday Season
- A Backyard Like No Other: South Mountain Preserve
- Why Choose a Move-In Ready Home
- South Phoenix: The Next Big Thing