Home Maintenance for WinterPosted 12/04/2012
Even though we are not shoveling snow across our driveways and winterizing our pipes like our friends on the East Coast, we are still welcoming the cooler temperatures for our version of “winter.” We don’t have blizzards or icicles to worry about, but slight changes in the temperature can affect home maintenance.
Maracay Homes are built with energy-efficiency and safety already in mind, but there are still a few things desert-dwelling homeowners can do to prep the house for cooler weather that will affect the quality of your home and your energy bill.
Make sure your heater is in tip-top condition before the temperatures dip below the 70’s. You don’t want to figure out that your heater broke while a freeze warning has been announced. For under $100, a technician will inspect all the working parts of a heater to ensure it’s in working condition.
Caution of the Cold
Even though we rarely hit below freezing, Phoenix has been known to have some chilly nights. Be sure to protect your landscape from the damaging freezing temperatures. Drape blankets over desert plants to prevent frost burn if there is a freeze warning in effect. Also, turn off exterior faucets if they aren’t in use. This will prevent pipes from bursting due to expanding ice.
Ceiling Fan Care
Reverse your ceiling fan to run clockwise during winter in order to create an updraft and push hot air down into living areas. According to Energy Star, reversing your ceiling fan rotation may allow you to turn down your thermostat by a degree or two for even more energy savings.
If you are lighting up the outside of your home for the holidays, you will need to do a little maintenance with older Christmas lights. Make sure there are no signs of wear-and-tear on the wires and that all bulbs are still functioning. We wouldn’t want your yard being lit up from an electrical fire.
To ensure your home is in tip-top shape all year round, check out our Maracay Home Maintenance List.
- Less clutter, more style: modern storage ideas for spring
- Learn all about Avance with our New Home Advisors
- Get to Know Deseo with Our New Home Advisors
- Green Living Tips for Earth Month
- Celebrating Earth Month in Arizona
- What’s cooking in your kitchen? The latest design trends.
- Last Chance to Experience Life at Center Pointe Vistoso in Tucson
- Bricks, brunches and brainstorms: The Warehouse District in Downtown Phoenix
- Spruce Up Your Space for Spring
- Things to do this spring in Phoenix and Tucson