High Temps and Low Energy BillsPosted 05/15/2013
Air conditioners blast cold air. Fans spin at high speed. Pool filters clean after swimmers seek refuge. Here were are, mid-May, and already experiencing temperatures over 100 degrees.
The impending heat that starts in late spring and lasts through early fall can make Phoenicians’ electricity bills sky rocket. And although all Maracay homes have earned the Energy Star label, there are still things that can be done to keep energy costs down throughout the season.
When it comes to keeping food at a cool temperature, don’t set the temperature colder than necessary. The refrigerator can be kept between 36° and 42° Fahrenheit and the freezer can be kept between -5° and 6° Fahrenheit. Also, while you are adjusting the temperatures, be sure to check that doors seal tightly so cold air doesn’t escape, making your fridge work harder.
In the Air
Before the summer heat gets unbearably hot, have your air conditioning unit tuned up by a professional. This is a great way to both save energy and prevent a unit failure halfway through summer.
To maximize the use of your air conditioner, use the ceiling fan at the same time. Fans circulate the cool air from the A/C, making the house feel cooler without having to adjust the temperature. Also be sure to have your fan direction blowing air down.
In the Bathroom
You wouldn’t think that a leaky faucet could cause your energy bills, along with your water bills, to creep up, but it can. The leaky faucet can add dollars to your energy bill for heating the water that is not used.
Looking for even more ways to save energy? Check out the Living Smart section on Maracay Homes’ website.
- Spruce Up Your Space for Spring
- Things to do this spring in Phoenix and Tucson
- Introducing the year’s hottest interior trends: Desert Modern & Southwestern
- Living the Good Life at Rio Paseo in Goodyear
- In Your Neighborhood: Valentine’s Day Edition
- Living Like a Local at The Lakes at Annecy
- Live Like a Local in Chandler with Our Windermere Ranch New Home Advisors
- Maracay Celebrates Three Grand Openings to Kick Off 2019
- New Year, New Home: 3 Tips for Homebuyers
- Good Times by Design: Holiday Entertaining & Floor Plans at Avance