Halloween Safety TipsPosted 10/30/2014
Ghouls, goblins, monsters in the dark. Halloween can be scary. But you can keep this haunted holiday harmless for your pets, kids and home by following these simple safety tips:
Stay in your community: If you’re taking the kids trick-or-treating, try to stay in your local community, especially if you live in a Maracay Homes neighborhood, where you’ll be surrounded by friendly neighbors, safe streets and a warm community spirit.
Clear walkways: Fall is a time of change, which means leaves may begin to clutter your lawn and pathway to the front door. So before the crowds of trick-or-treaters start showing up, sweep your walkway thoroughly and remove lawn ornaments, including electric cords or garden hoses that may cause the young ones and their parents to stumble or harm themselves.
Turn on the lights: Even if you don't plan on handing out candy, it’s still a good idea to keep your front yard and walkways properly lit. This will make it safe for young children and possibly keep away the random rascals looking to play a trick on an unsuspecting home.
Serve safe treats: Always be sure to double check that the treats you hand out to children are safe. Try to provide only commercially packaged treats that are labeled and sealed or non-food items. Never offer unpackaged food items, as there is an increased chance of spreading food-borne illnesses.
Keep pets away: Ringing doorbells, masked people and lots of excitement can throw your pets all out of sorts, even if they tend to be calm and loving. Also make sure you don’t leave your pet in a room with candy, because chocolate can be lethal for animals. Be wary of candy wrappers, too. They can obstruct your pet’s intestines, causing serious health issues.
Remove fire hazards: One of the most common mistakes people make is placing candles inside their jack-o’-lanterns for haunting effects. This can be a fire hazard, especially with children around. Instead, light up those spooky pumpkins with battery-powered candles or glow sticks.
- Maracay Celebrates Three Grand Openings to Kick Off 2019
- New Year, New Home: 3 Tips for Homebuyers
- Good Times by Design: Holiday Entertaining & Floor Plans at Avance
- Learning About Lakeview Trails at Morrison Ranch with New Home Advisor Katrina Harless
- The Holiday Season’s Most Exciting Events in Phoenix
- Best Hiking in Your Backyard
- The Perfect Gift for Every Adventurer on Your List
- Light up the Night this Holiday Season
- A Backyard Like No Other: South Mountain Preserve
- Why Choose a Move-In Ready Home