Energy-Saving Tips for Warm WeatherPosted 03/11/2016
It’s hard to believe that another winter season has come and gone, and with it, the nice, cool weather we’ve all been enjoying in Arizona. As spring approaches, now is the perfect time to prep your home before temperatures hit triple digits. Consider these tips for maximum energy-saving during the warmer months:
Those tiny maintenance fixes you’ve been putting off can make a big difference on your energy usage.
- Fix that incessant, leaky faucet to keep from wasting water.
- Replace air conditioning filters (every month during hot seasons, as recommended), and seal cracks and openings in your home’s infrastructure to keep the cool air in your home and the heat, out. This will keep your home functioning properly without excess energy (or money) waste.
Be Mindful of Your Usage
- When you’re not home, turn the thermostat to a slightly warmer temperature. That way, your AC isn’t working overtime all day, especially when you don’t need it to.
- Talk with your energy service provider about peak hour programs. This can also drastically make a difference in your energy usage – and your wallet — when you run your dishwasher or do laundry during the off-peak hours. Don’t worry, they won’t make you do laundry at 2 a.m. or when you’re at work.
- When you do run the dishwasher, make sure it’s full. The machine always uses the same amount of water every cycle, so you might as well get the most out it with as many clean dishes as possible.
- Invest in ceiling and/or floor fans to circulate air throughout the main rooms in your house. While they don’t directly lower the temperature, they create a wind-chill effect that makes the room feel dramatically cooler. Plus, fans cost just over $5 a month to operate, whereas your AC can cost upwards of $150 or more.
- The Top 3 Reasons to Live in a Single-Story Home.
- Ceilings with Charisma: 4 Design Trends to Elevate Your Space to New Heights.
- Gilbert Regional Park is Ready for Fun.
- Neighbors Became Friends at the Avance After Hours Celebration.
- 10 Spooky Things to Do in Gilbert.
- Welcome Home to Life on the Smart Side.
- Fall in Love with Arizona This Season.
- Fall Decorating with a Modern Twist.
- The Meadows: A Vibrant West Valley Community.
- Dig Into Fall with the Gilbert Farmers Market.