Easy Italian Recipes in Honor of Columbus DayPosted 10/14/2013
In 1492, Columbus sailed the ocean blue. While he donned the flag of Spain in his quest for the America we know today, Christopher Columbus was an Italian-born explorer who hailed from the city of Genoa. Now, more than 500 years later, we honor him with a few easy celebratory dishes from his homeland in a multi-course feast fit for even the most curious of appetites.
Start the dinner off with a bowl of Mirao, which according to Chef Cesare Casella, the Dean of Italian Studies at the International Culinary Center, was one of Columbus’ favorite dishes. This Italian take on classic chicken soup includes day-old bread, parmesan cheese, cinnamon and nutmeg. The recipe makes for an easy first course or go-to dish on a cold day.
We all know Italy is famous for pizza so whip up this Red, White and Bleu Pizza to celebrate Columbus’ voyage to America. This pie features tasty ingredients like red pepper, bleu cheese, caramelized onion and mozzarella cheese. For a different variation on the pizza, Red, White and Blue Bruschetta includes feta cheese, tomatoes, walnuts and for a sweet bite, blueberries.
For a classic Italian dessert, you can make tiramisu or biscotti paired with chocolate and cherries or, of course, cannolis. If you really want to impress, bake an Italian Crème Cake using coconut, cream cheese, vanilla and pecans. You can pair with gelato in the colors of the Italian flag: red, green and white, or use red, white and blue colors to observe the discovery of America.
Pair these dishes with your favorite Italian wines or Italian sodas and enjoy a holiday meal with family and friends.
- Preparing Your Springtime Garden.
- The Alta Model Has Arrived.
- How to Plan the Perfect Outdoor Dining Experience.
- Make Your Home More Merry.
- HomeSmart for the Holidays.
- Warm and Cozy: 4 Ways to Turn Your Space into a Winter Retreat.
- Explore Your Artistic Side in Gilbert.
- Maracay Helps School District Secure Land for New School.
- The Top 3 Reasons to Live in a Single-Story Home.
- Ceilings with Charisma: 4 Design Trends to Elevate Your Space to New Heights.