Choosing a HomebuilderPosted 04/09/2014
You’ve decided to buy a newly built home. Congratulations! Now what? With so many choices available, it’s easy to see how a person could become overwhelmed. Selecting a reputable homebuilder with which to do business is a good first step toward becoming comfortable with the process.
Make a list of possible builders: After determining the type of house you want, contact the local homebuilders’ association or search the real estate section of the local newspaper for builders and projects. “Looking through the ads and reading the articles can help you learn which builders are active in your area, the types of homes they are building and the prices you can expect to pay,” according to NAHB experts. Make a list of the builders who build the type of home you’re looking for in your price range.
In addition, find a real estate agent who can help you in your search. Friends and family members may be able to recommend an agent who’s right for you. Ask the agent about their impressions of the builders with whom they’ve done business.
Do your homework: After you’ve compiled a list of builders, start researching the quality of their work. Visit the builder’s recently built neighborhoods. Talk to sales agents and people who live in the communities. Remember to take a notebook with you to record the information you learn and your personal impressions about specific builders and homes. Doing so will allow for easier comparisons later.
At the very least, drive by the new-home neighborhoods to check out the homes’ curb appeal.
Shop for quality and value: Touring the builders’ model homes will give you a feel for how the product might fit your needs and the needs of your family. Look at how the builder uses space. Evaluate the quality of the home’s construction and inspect the types of finishes, such as cabinetry, carpeting and trim. Ask about home warranty coverage. Keep in mind, there are no dumb questions.
Buying a new home can be an exciting journey. Partnering with the right homebuilder can make the trip all the more enjoyable.
- Things to do this spring in Phoenix and Tucson
- Introducing the year’s hottest interior trends: Desert Modern & Southwestern
- Living the Good Life at Rio Paseo in Goodyear
- In Your Neighborhood: Valentine’s Day Edition
- Living Like a Local at The Lakes at Annecy
- Live Like a Local in Chandler with Our Windermere Ranch New Home Advisors
- Maracay Celebrates Three Grand Openings to Kick Off 2019
- New Year, New Home: 3 Tips for Homebuyers
- Good Times by Design: Holiday Entertaining & Floor Plans at Avance
- Learning About Lakeview Trails at Morrison Ranch with New Home Advisor Katrina Harless