How to Choose a HomebuilderPosted 08/26/2013
Buying a new home is one of the single-largest purchases most people will make in their lives. With an intimidating array of choices at hand, how can buyers feel confident in their selection? Experts say it all starts with choosing a reputable homebuilder.
The National Association of Home Builders (NAHB) counsels prospective homebuyers to shop for a builder as carefully as they shop for a home. Here are a few tips:
- Make a list of possible builders: After determining the type of house you want, contact the local homebuilders’ association or search the real estate section of the local newspaper for builders, projects and price ranges.
- Find a agent who can help you in your search. Friends and family members may be able to recommend a real estate agent who’s right for you. Ask the agent about their impressions of the builders with whom they’ve done business.
- Do your homework: After you’ve compiled a list of builders, start researching the quality of their work. Visit the builders’ recently built neighborhoods. Talk to sales agents and people who live in the communities. Remember to take a notebook with you to record the information you learn and your personal impressions about specific builders and homes. At the very least, drive by the new-home neighborhoods to check out the homes’ curb appeal. Doing so will allow for easier comparisons later.
- Shop for quality and value: Touring the builders’ model homes will give you a feel for how the product might fit your needs and the needs of your family. Look at how the builder uses space. Evaluate the quality of the home’s construction and inspect the types of finishes, such as cabinetry, carpeting and trim. Ask about home warranty coverage. Keep in mind, there are no dumb questions.
Buying a new home can be an exciting journey. Partnering with the right homebuilder can make the trip all the more enjoyable.
- Ceilings with Charisma: 4 Design Trends to Elevate Your Space to New Heights.
- Gilbert Regional Park is Ready for Fun.
- Neighbors Became Friends at the Avance After Hours Celebration.
- 10 Spooky Things to Do in Gilbert.
- Welcome Home to Life on the Smart Side.
- Fall in Love with Arizona This Season.
- Fall Decorating with a Modern Twist.
- The Meadows: A Vibrant West Valley Community.
- Dig Into Fall with the Gilbert Farmers Market.
- The Advantages of Model Home Living.