Welcoming New NeighborsPosted 06/20/2014
Maybe it’s the relaxed attitude or the wide-open spaces. Whatever the cause, Westerners are the most likely people in the country to enjoy their neighbors (72 percent in the West, compared to 67 percent nationally) — despite being the worst about knowing their names.
That’s the word from a recent national survey in which real estate data company Trulia teamed with Harris Interactive to understand how Americans feel about their neighbors. Two-thirds of all Americans say they like their neighbors. That figure jumps to 80 percent among people who are on a first-name basis with them.
Homeowners are more likely than renters to know and like their neighbors (74 percent for owners vs. 58 percent for renters) and Midwesterners top the charts for knowing their neighbors’ names.
While many of us long for the sense of community that comes from developing close relationships with those who live around us, busy schedules and lack of free time can keep us from taking the extra steps necessary to start building friendships. Home builders like Maracay recognize this challenge and have begun offering floor plan designs that focus on connectivity, with roomy kitchens and great rooms for entertaining and welcoming front porches for socializing, making your Arizona neighborhoods all the more friendly.
Front porches aside, if you don’t yet know your neighbors, make a commitment to be more neighborly. Here are a few ideas to help you get started:
- Spend more time out front. If you don’t have a porch, even a bench in the yard will do. Hang out and read a book, watch the kids play or just sip a beverage. Being out in the open will naturally lead to conversations with passersby or neighbors coming and going from their own homes.
- Invite your neighbors over for an ice cream social or a cocktail party. Hosting a group of strangers for an entire meal can be intimidating – not to mention a lot of work. Keep it simple by serving a couple types of ice cream and toppings or beer, wine, soda and snacks.
- Welcome newcomers. Even a small gesture – a plate of cookies, a bunch of flowers from your garden or a note with your contact information – can make a new family feel at home.
Need more ideas? Here’s the easiest tip of all: simply offer a friendly wave and a smile.
- The Importance of Owning a LEED® Certified Home
- Meticulously Modern Housing Trends Inspired by Avance
- Father’s Day Fun Around the Valley
- Maracay Brings Alexa-Integrated Living into Thoughtfully Designed Homes
- Less clutter, more style: modern storage ideas for spring
- Learn all about Avance with our New Home Advisors
- Get to Know Deseo with Our New Home Advisors
- Green Living Tips for Earth Month
- Celebrating Earth Month in Arizona
- What’s cooking in your kitchen? The latest design trends.